Pages

Monday, August 13, 2012

All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome by Kathy Hoopman

Four words: I LOVE THIS BOOK.  




Not only is this a great book for helping children with Asperger Syndrome identify with others, it is also exceptional for children without to understand how children with Asperger are similar to them and help us all celebrate the differences.  The takeaway is kids are as lovable as kittens, and who doesn't love kittens?  




"An Asperger child looks at the world in his own unique way."
"He likes to be near those he loves, but doesn't want them to hold him,"

"An Asperger child often has exceptionally good hearing,
and loud sounds and sudden movements may scare him." 





The only complaint I have about the book is it does not use "person-first language."  However, the book is so good at explaining Asperger's that I am willing to overlook it for the good of the overall message.  But just this once.


AGES: 4 and up

BOOK BRIEFS:

A= Animals
E/S= Emotional/Social Development
F= Funny (cute)
I= Insightful
INFO= Informative
PWD= People with Disabilities
V= Vocab Enhancement

8 comments:

Quirky Bibliophile said...

This looks like a really cute book which could be a good springboard for discussing differences in a non-judgmental way. I really like your new blog -- what a great title!

Becca said...

Thank you! And, yes, that is exactly what I perceive the book to be- a non-judgmental way to discuss and celebrate Asperger's. Thank you for your comment!

H Papa said...

This looks like a great book for helping people learn about Asperger's. Thanks for sharing

Marjorie (PaperTigers) said...

I'm so glad you left a comment at PaperTigers and I've thereby found your blog! I was introduced to this wonderful book just a few weeks ago and I love it too - I watched/listened to it being read on YouTube and felt that the there was real dignity in the text, despite it not being 1st person - perhaps even because of - and the partnering with crazily apt cute cat photographs is just brilliant! I have yet to see the partner book All Dogs have ADHD...

Becca said...

Ooh! I want to read that one too! I am going to seek it out! Thanks for coming over!!!

Becca said...

You're welcome! Thank you for coming by!!!

Kathy Hoopmann said...

Thanks for your kind words. My new book "Inside Asperger's Looking Out"
which is due for release on 15 September uses a first person approach.
Maybe then I can be forgiven:) I have a new link for this book you are welcome to check out http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kathy-Hoopmann-Aspergers/354538471291105?ref=hl

Becca said...

Thanks so much for visiting my little blog and for commenting! I look forward to reading your next book when it comes out! :)